About Director Jack May
Jack found his passion for dancing when he joined "Fresh Funk" a local Canberra Hip Hop studio at the age of 13. He gradually worked his way through the ranks to become a principal member of the school, where he contributed choreography towards the end of year production. He also regularly represented the A.C.T at Hip Hop and Freestyle competitions.
In 2009 and 2010 Jack visited LA where he trained in many disciplines of dance and had the opportunity to work with some of LA's biggest choreographic names such as Tony Tzar, Andre Fuentes, Brian Friedman, Tucker Barkley, and Jian Pierre-Louis.
In 2010 Jack moved to Melbourne to pursue a career in the performing arts and since then he's been working as a choreographer for several Full Time dance institutions (Patrick Studios Australia, The Edge Performing Arts School, Spectrum Dance, Ministry of Dance, The Space, and Dance World).
Having travelled internationally over the past few years, Jack has become a resident choreographer for a number of schools throughout Australia, and is now becoming one of Melbourne’s most highly sought after urban choreographers.
Jack is the Creative Director of Melbourne's based crew "Sole Symphony" whom were finalists for the 2011/12 Australian Hip Hop Championships, runners up for Step Off 2011, competitors in Groove Battlegrounds, and often perform at corporate events and functions.
- The Sole Symphony Movement provides up coming artists with a place to share/learn from industry professionals in an exuberant environment.
Jack was a member of “Collaboration – The Project" a contemporary company founded by Paul Malek. He played a co-choreographic role in the productions "Unanswered" and "Relations" and assisted in creating a number of pieces for "Project Y" a youth based contemporary company.
- Member of Dance Chat Team 2013-2014
- Cast Member of Collaboration Contemporary Company
- Director of Melbourne Based Crew “Sole Symphony”
-Touring Workshops: GAP (Morewell), Hyper Dance (Adelaide), Flava Studios (Adelaide), Triple Menace (Sydney), Dance Intensive Australia (Cairns), Jose Dance Force (Tasmania), Top Jazz Ballet (Perth)
- Choreographer/dancer for Sydney Carnival 2010 – 2012
- Peter Alexander Fashion Parade Back Up Dancer – 2013
- Assistant to Erica Sobol Guam Tour (2013)
- Assistant to Paul Malek at Australian Dance Festival 2011
- Immersed Soloist 2011
- Choreographer at “The Collektive’s” Friday good workshop appeal.
- Choreographer/Dancer for Underground Summer/Spring/Autumn/Winter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Choreographer Short + Sweet dance festival 2011 – 2012
- Easter Bunny Suit Work - 2013
- Together As One Cast Member – choreographed and produced by Jonathon Homsey – 2013, 2014
- Victoria Dance Festival Choreographer – 2013
- Footy Show Grand Finale Players Review Dancer - 2014
- Teacher/Performance Choreographer for Melbourne Girls College, St Michael's Grammar, Genazzano FCJ
- Ensemble cast member for "Legends in Concert" 2018/19/20
What else do we offer?
- Schools looking for a creative fun alternative to a regular PE class are able to hire our teachers for a casual class or on a regular/termly basis.
VCE Dance Solo Choreography
- Students in year 11/12 looking for assitance in choreographing VCE solo work can contact us to book a private lesson. Our teachers are open and flexible to ensure each element of the criteria is met!
Dance/Musical Production Choreography
- Schools seeking creative assistance for internal or external theatrical productions can rely on our experienced choreographers to produce high quality material fit for stage.
- St Michaels Dance Night - 2017/16/15
- Caulfield Grammar 2017
- Cranbournce Secondary College Dance Showcase - 2016
- Fair Hills High School - 2016
- St John's Regional College - 2016
- AND many more...
Birthday Party Hosting
- Time permitting the hall is free we are able to organise a fun filled dance orientated birthday party for boys and girls. Hall hire is included in the cost and catering can be supplied (please consider informing the host of allergies). Party will involve games, a dance class, and some free time in the studio.
- For a quote or any specific requirements please email email@example.com.